How was weekend friends? Mine wasn’t too great as i made hummus but looked for pita bread everywhere and it seemed that it was some sort of evil force ( i know it sounds funny ! ) but no grocery store had pita bread yesterday . So we ended up buying pocket thin flatbread which made even the not so bad hummus taste weird lol..
Well I had a packet of quinoa for God knows how long, i suppose a month or so but i have been struggling to find a recipe that would suit us…well finally today i decided to give it a try and was looking for a good recipe when I tumbled across “Soni’s food for thought” and tried her recipe for quinoa patties indian style. I have done some changes according to my taste.
I don’t own a proper camera so the picture might not to do proper justice.
Quinoa patties Indian style ( Inspired from Indian Spiced Quinoa Patties from “Soni’s food of thought” blog )
Makes 6-7 patties
1/2 cup Quinoa
1/4 cup Green peas
1/4 inch finely minced/crushed Ginger
2-3 finely minced/crushed Garlic cloves ( according to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander ( Dhaniya )
2 chopped Green chillies ( according to taste; optional)
Salt- to taste, canola or any other mild tasting oil
1 cup bread crumbs ( If you don’t have bread crumbs then put bread slices in oven at around 400F for 10-15 minutes and crush them with hands )
1/4 cup all purpose flour/maida
Water ( 1/4-1/2 cup to get a medium consistency so the batter can stick to the patties)
- Rinse quinoa properly with water. Add around 1 and 1/4 cup water and green peas and let it boil.
- Once it starts boiling,lower the flame and let it simmer covered for next 10-15 minutes until quinoa absorbs the water.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour with water and keep the batter aside which will be used for coating the patties.
- Take another dish and mix quinoa along with green peas and all the other ingredients leaving the oil and bread crumbs.
- Keep bread crumbs in another dish.
- Now roll the mixture into small round balls . Flaten them using your palms and coat slighty with the batter and roll over bread crumbs.
- Heat the oven to 400F and slightly grease a sheet and line them on the sheet. Cook them for around 7-10 minutes on one side, then flip them and cook them for another 7-10 minutes.
- Serve them hot with ketchup or hot sauce.
More quinoa ideas anyone? :)